Since the start of the COVID 19 pandemic, the number of hate crimes perpetrated against Canadians of Asian descent have risen to an huge extent in various major cities. “Asian Canadians need all Canadians to stand alongside us, to speak out and to be vocal and to stand against anti-Asian racism in this fight”. This panel will discuss the importance of why and how we should stand up, Speak up, Connect, Transform and Unite against Anti-Asian Hate.
A panel about anti-Asian hate and discrimination specifically against women featuring:
- Honourable Leela Aheer, Alberta Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women
- Ms. Teresa Woo-Paw, Chair, Canadian Race Relations; Founder/Chair of ACCT Foundation, Act2EndRacism National Network
- Dr. Xiaobei Chen, Professor and Associate Chair, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Carleton University; President, Canadian Sociological Association
- Dr. Sally Zhao, President/CEO The Immigrant Education Society
- Keren Tang, Edmonton City Council Candidate, Ward Karhiio; Community Organizer
- Jing Hu, Alberta Childrens Hospital Foundation Youth Council Member, Alberta Northern Lights Volunteers Award Winner
as well as other community and sector leaders.
This is a collaboration between Calgary and Edmonton community groups.
Monday, May 10 at 7:00 pm